This blog will provide students of Organizational Communication, a weekly class of the College of New Rochelle in downtown Manhattan, a space for discussion, contemplation and general communication musings. The course syllabus and schedule can be found here as well as weekly class journal postings. Side bar links will lead to additional class readings and resources to assist students with the completion of a semester-long organizational communication project. Good luck and enjoy the lesson!

Monday, April 10, 2006

Week Eleven: Recruitment and Socialization

- JOURNAL ELEVEN -
Post an example of recruitment or socialization from your life experience. Include a summary of your experience as well as a reaction. Some possible questions to answer include: Was the recruitment process realistic? Did the organization or applicant (that's you!) misrepresent or omit any details? What phase of Organizational Assimilation (144-148) does your experience represent: anticipatory socialization, encounter or metamorphosis? What type of socialization process (150-154) was used: collective or individual; formal or informal; sequential or random; fixed or variable; serial or disjunctive; investiture or divestiture?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

melissa said:
When I began working at my job I did not know what to expect. After a week of begining there I felt like a family. The took me as if I was there at the company for a long time. I was not used to this. My other job you did your thing and went home. None cared about your personal life, so it took some ajustment to express how I feel about certain things. This is what I call a organizational assimilation, when one adaptes to it surrending.

May 03, 2006 9:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can relate this one to growing up. After moving more than seven times before finishing high school, which ever block we moved on was a diffrent enviornment.

There may have been at least four to five nationalities on one block. You would alway hear another langue beign spoken. Growing up I had all kinds of friends. I had Hispanic, East Indian, Jewish, West Indian and Southern friends just to name a few. I know that you may say Southern people just speck with a slite drawl, but not so the futher you go south it is another langue spoken that only a few can understand.

There were at least six diffrent religons on the block that was known of.

Families stuck together this alone created an organization all of its own.


Tonya Woodruff

May 10, 2006 7:36 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first started at my firm, I felt that I did not belong. I learned within the four years that the partners have their favorites so I learned how to fit in and now I am part of the group.
maureen

May 10, 2006 8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When I first started at my firm, I felt that I did not belong. I learned within the four years that the partners have their favorites so I learned how to fit in and now I am part of the group.
maureen

May 10, 2006 8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been at my organizatin for fifteen years.I recently changed my tour from the morning to the night tour. i had to fit in all over again, because i was working with different people even though the work was the same. i felt like a new worker in the same work location. i had to assimilate into a diffrent organization culture within the nightour 11X7. HARLEM USA STEPHANIE

May 11, 2006 7:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bessie said,
During the first fifteen years in my organization, I was employed by the NYPD as a crossing guard. During this time I had five different supervisors and the atomsphere was good because we were treated fairly by the organization. The supervisor visted our post daily, and we had several meetings during the year to informed us of changes or any problems that might occur.

When we got a new supervisor everything changed in the organization. There were no visit on your post, no meetings except for mandatory, and the enviroment changed so much that you felt like an outsider where you got no support from the organization.

We had to change our behavior and attitudes to adjust to this new culture by following the rules and regulations as the new supervisor made changes in the organization.

May 14, 2006 10:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home