This blog will provide students of Organizational Communication, a weekly class of the College of New Rochelle in downtown Manhattan, a space for discussion, contemplation and general communication musings. The course syllabus and schedule can be found here as well as weekly class journal postings. Side bar links will lead to additional class readings and resources to assist students with the completion of a semester-long organizational communication project. Good luck and enjoy the lesson!

Sunday, May 07, 2006

Week Fifteen: Peer Communication and Organizational Teams

While most of the class thus far has focused on thinking about the underlying metaphors that structure organizations and organizational communication, this week's lesson examined the nature of communication between members within an organization. We came up with three primary communication relationships: superior-subordinate; peer; and teams or groups. A superior-subordinate relationship involves talk that takes place within a classical power structure, such as when one member has direct authority over the activities of another member. Peer talk may also involve power struggles; however, the main purpose of peer communication is to promote a sense of unity and community. Group communication is perhaps currently the strongest or most predominant form of organizational communication; it involves connections among groups of people within a larger organization. In this case, decisions, social exchange and world views are shaped by GroupThink. GroupThink promotes the idea that the group is a cohesive whole that is invulnerable, conformed, unanimous (Modaff and DeWine 217-218).

For next week, please read these two case studies: case study #1 and case study #2

- JOURNAL 15 -
Post an example of one of the three forms of communication relationships: superior-subordinate; peer; and groups.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The superior-subordinate realationship is my office stands as such. when you are told what to do just do it no questions asked. There is no communications between supervisors not verbel any. when you are given instructions you get them by e-mail.

Teamwork is done only when the Deputy Director or your supervisor feel that it is necessery.

Tonya Woodruff

May 10, 2006 7:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Id do not agree with subordinates in my job beacuse in my job you are not able to speak your mind.

May 10, 2006 7:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melissa said
at my job it is a superior- subordinate relattionship. You r told want to do and you have to do it. Take for a example A working has missing for about a month. Since I used to job he did, I was told I am back doing it plus my own work. Wah tmake it worst since I am a senior rep I had to show leadership. No question asked but just do.

May 10, 2006 8:41 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

stephanie
blog#15
today i had a meeting with my daughter's father to come to some agreement about the summer vacation. we both wanted the month of July. we came up with a solutions that would work for the both of us to enjoy the month of july. i took the first two weeks and he took the last two and the month of august will be the same. i learned this techique in the commuciation class to work together as a team is more productive and i am utilizing in my relationships in my life Harle USA STEPHANIE

May 11, 2006 6:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bessie said,
I choose to use the communication relationship form of superior-subordinate. In my job my supervisor is quick to look at the negative side of a situation.

My supervisor received a phone call from a woman who told him I was not crossing any children, that I was just standing there doing nothing in the rain. This woman was new in the community and was a new member on the Community Board.

My supervisor knows that there are not a lot of children at this school, but he choose to believe that after working at this school for over twenty years I would not cross the children.

When he phone me informing me about the complaint he was very angry and was not interested in what I had to say. He used his power over me to tell me to do my job without listening to me, because he was afraid the woman from the Community Board would make problems for him.

May 14, 2006 11:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home